Monday, January 4, 2010

A new year

So. 2010. Two thousand and ten. This is the year that I can say "ten years ago" and be referring entirely to the 21st century. Le wow.

Resolutions? Well, sorta. Starting tomorrow I'm back in the gym, (mostly) CrossFitting. And after reading The Omnivore's Dilemma, well, I feel inspired, but to do what? I want to make a change, but I can't articulate a goal. So far--all four days, or at least two of them--I've been trying to buy only organic foods, and only "local-ish," meaning California and nearby states. I'm making as many of my own meals as possible, with allowances for social meals. I have some early thoughts on manufacturing a personal food culture to pass down, but that needs to hibernate a bit longer in my mind. Ideally I'd like to be "opted-out" of the industrial food system, but I have doubts that's even possible in--good grief--2010.

And yours?

3 comments:

(In)Sanity Gal said...

Glad you enjoyed Omnivore's Dilemma - pretty amazing stuff. Another good one is Animal Vegetable Miracle. Barbara Kingsolver can get a bit preachy, but it's still great. I decided not to do resolutions this year, but I've been trying to stick with "happy" meat, which for me generally means only from the farmers market here and, like you, do as much local as possible. Although I make concessions for things like grapefruit and avocados because...well, because I just am not ready to give them up!

Good luck with the food culture! I think it's a great thing to develop!

Unknown said...

I say good luck to you as well. That book can be overwhelming, but one thing Michael Pollan (and others) recommends is to take one day a week and eat no meat or factory farmed food/products or industrial food or something like that. That way it becomes something more manageable.

Personally, I'm not big into resolutions, but I definitely have an intention going into this semester: work less, stress less, have faith that i'll get a job. So far so good :)

saisai said...

navs: i like that. i have faith in you too!

i'm in a luxurious position right now because i have a flexible schedule, time to think, money to buy organic food, a car to visit nearby farms (and, duh, farms that are nearby). might as well make the most of it now--do things the long way when i can, and figure out how to cut corners when i can't anymore.