Thursday, April 1, 2010

Last last last last last

Yes, indeed, the last term of law school. I sort of can't believe this thing has been around for 3 years, any more than I can believe I have been around for 3 years. Saisai, esquire. Got a nice ring to it.

I became kinda a little obsessed with financial systems and the market meltdown last term. No, not "obsessed," more like intensely interested. It's so tricky! And so many smart people function within the beast, anyone on the outside is almost certainly outmatched. I like the challenge, I guess.

What's on tap for my (say it with me) LAST set of law school classes ever?

Antitrust. A famous class at otherwise-business-unfriendly SLS. Great prof, and--as I learned last summer--actually pretty interesting work. Which is why I'm taking this even though it conflicts with really everything else on the planet.

Legal studies. Basically just paper-writing, a directed research/paper workshop hybrid. Not much to say, except I hope I can find people who want to talk to me. Otherwise my paper will be kinda short.

Democratization of credit. I just sat in on this today and was blown away. Very small class, fantastic non-lawyerly teacher (that's very important), and interesting subject matter. We'll do everything from FICO scores to car loan agreements to subprime mortgage securitization. Neato!

Corporate governance. I told you I was intensely interested! This'll cover a bunch of discrete topics, like state competition, criminal liability, and the labor market for directors and managers. I have a theory about corporate governance I'm starting to explore. More on that later, when there's more to share.

So, that's it. I'm one research paper and eleven credits away from J-freaking-D. Well, that and a bar exam. But that's waaaay far off, right?

Right?

Guys?

2 comments:

navah said...

absolutely. couldn't agree more ;)

Michael said...

Congrats that the finish line is virtually within sight for you! :-)

Plus, they sound like a bunch of great topics for your final classes. Two of my modules for my LLM I took last year were Antitrust (actually, competition law of the EU) and corporate governance. I can highly recommend both! :-)