Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Socratic method

I used to be a fan. All 1L year I was pretty comfortable answering cold-call questions in class. I didn't get too nervous and usually managed to sound passably articulate in my responses. This year is different. Maybe the questions are harder. Maybe my prep needs to change but hasn't yet. Maybe I'm still unsettled in this new environment. Maybe I'm preoccupied with trying to impress my new classmates instead of thinking through the question. Maybe I'm less engaged in class generally. Maybe I'm perversely more comfortable in front of 100 people than 30. Maybe the bar is just higher and I'm limbo-ing instead of climbing over it. Who knows. I just wouldn't be surprised if my FS prof wondered briefly this morning "who let that idiot into my class" before moving on.

No comments: